There was a time when I thought I cannot make pasta at home, I used to think every international cuisine was too difficult to be made at home. They say you never know it until you try it. So one fine day, I gave it a try and was amazed to find out that it is so simple and easy. Yes, you don’t need any hard to find ingredients, no complex recipe, toss everything in a pan and within few minutes it is ready !! A delicious pink sauce pasta/ tomato cream sauce pasta for your lunch or dinner is no hassle. I have used penne pasta and some vegetables. You can add more vegetables of your choice like zucchini, bell peppers (red, yellow and green), mushrooms, broccoli and baby corn. Pink sauce pasta is basically a tomato sauce mixed with cream which gives a creamy texture. Some use white sauce/ bechamel sauce instead of cream for the pink sauce. Once upon a time, when I had no knowledge about food, I used to think pink sauce is made from beetroot (beetroot gives a pink color no !!)
When you think about Italian cuisine, the first thing that comes to your mind is pasta and pizza, isn’t it? There is much more than that and even I haven’t explored all of it. Thus, the journey of exploring starts- knowing the unknown, learning, trying, failing and trying again. Does it sound familiar? Life !! Yeah, a journey is all about having the courage to tread on the path unknown, facing your fears, lifting yourself after every fall and to keep moving. Trying not to divert from the topic, the world of food is so vast with so much to learn, so many emotions behind food, so much variety and diversity. This is going to be one exciting journey for sure !! Till then enjoy the pasta 🙂
Penne Pasta with Pink Sauce
Author: The Cooking Soul
Serves – 4
- 5 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp salt as per taste
- 200 ml cream
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta (approx 250 gms)
- Dice the onion and tomatoes to very small pieces. Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a pan, saute garlic and onion over medium heat till it turns pink. Add bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, black pepper, salt, sugar and tomato ketchup.
- Bring to a boil. Add 1/2 cup water and let it boil for another 15-20 minutes on medium flame while stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. Drain and keep aside.
- Add cream to the tomato sauce, mix well, cook for 1 minute over medium flame while stirring continuously.
- Add the pasta, mix well and cook for a minute. Serve immediately with garlic bread.
- If you are using fresh basil leaves, add to the pasta after removing from the heat or 5 minutes before removing from the heat, we do not want to overcook the fresh basil leaves.
- The more you cook the tomato sauce (without cream) the better its flavor. If you have time, cook the sauce for 30-45 minutes while stirring occasionally and then add the cream.
- You can store the sauce for the next day too. Rewarm the sauce and add the pasta, serve immediately.