There are days when I crave for cheesy stuff but then I also think about balancing it with healthy options. I intended to make stuffed pancakes- soft pancakes stuffed with cheese, mushrooms with the warm gooey cheese oozing out the moment I cut it. Okay I did control myself on not adding too much cheese. Made this few days back but took me a while to update it here. Hoping your weekend breakfast is sorted with this yummy pancake. So yes, I did not want to use all purpose flour for the pancakes, I opted for the fermented rice and lentil batter i.e the dosa batter. This was the balance I was talking about. Now lets get going on how to make the pancake. If you are using the fermented dosa batter then you have to start the preparations a day before, if you do not have enough time then you can make this with the pancake batter itself.
Mushroom stuffed pancakes
Author: The Cooking Soul
Yield – 4-5 pancakes
For the batter
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup urad dal/ black lentils
- 1 tsp methi seeds/ fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup poha/ flattened rice
For the stuffing
- 1.5 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- salt, black pepper as per taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard sauce
- Wash the rice and dal thoroughly a few times. Soak the rice and dal in water for 5-6 hours. Wash and soak the poha and fenugreek seeds for 3o minutes before grinding.
- Drain the water from the rice and dal. Add the rice, dal, fenugreek seeds and poha to the grinder jar. Add little water and blend till you get a smooth batter. Transfer the batter to a bowl and cover it. Ferment it for 6 hours or overnight. Add salt to the batter and mix well.
- For the stuffing, heat oil in a pan, add green onions, garlic and cook for a minute. Add chopped capsicum, mushrooms, salt and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, until the liquid has evaporated. Lastly add black pepper, oregano and mix well. Add cheese to this mixture once it has cooled down.
- For the sauce, in a cup mix mayonnaise, tomato ketchup and mustard sauce.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat, brush the pan with little oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter on the pan, place 3 tbsp of the stuffing in the middle then top it with batter to cover the stuffing. After about 2 minutes, lift up the edge to ensure the underside is golden. Flip the pancake and cook until the other side is golden. Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
- Serve it warm with the tomato mayonnaise.