Merry Christmas !!! I know I am late in posting this recipe but you still have few days left. Who said you can’t have the Christmas fruit cake after Christmas ? You can enjoy this cake on your new year eve as well with a mug of hot chocolate. Yes it is only calorific food that I talk about !! The best part is that this cake is eggless, alcohol free and you will still love it for sure. The measurements of the dry fruits to be soaked in the juice are approximate since I did not bother to use the measuring cups. Go get the ingredients and make this delicious cake for your family and more importantly for yourself !! Merrryyyyy Christmas !!
Christmas fruit cake (eggless and alcohol free)
Author: The Cooking Soul
Yield – Two 6 inch cakes OR 1 large cake
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 -1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp mix of cardamom & clove powder
For soaking in the juice
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup citrus peels (orange & lemon)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup black raisins
- 8-10 dates
- 1/4 cup tutti frutti
- 10 glazed cherries
- 1 1/2 – 2 cup of Juice (mix of orange & cranberry juice)
- Chop all the dry fruits and soak them in a jar/bowl of orange-cranberry juice. Soak for 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease the cake pan with oil or line the pan with butter paper.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and the powdered spices.
- Add oil and sugar to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add one cup of the soaked dry fruit mixture along with the juice and mix uniformly.
- In a bowl, take milk and add vinegar. Add baking soda and stir gently.
- Add this frothing mixture to the cake batter, add vanilla extract and mix uniformly.
- Pour batter in the cake pan. Place the cherries on the top.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 1 hour or more/less depending on your oven.
- Let the cake cool down and store in an airtight container or cling wrap it.
Note: The amount of dry fruits I soaked was approximate and hence I was left with around 2 cups of it, you can decrease the quantity accordingly.