Buttery, crumbly and melt in the mouth shortbread cookies or butter cookies are easy to make and taste divine. All you need is 3 ingredients and the cookies are ready within 15 mins. Enjoy these cookies with a hot cup of tea.
These shortbread cookies are buttery and crispy, they melt in your mouth leaving a beautiful aftertaste. They are versatile too! Coat them with chocolate to get chocolate butter cookies, add a pinch of cinnamon for cinnamon cookies, or add cardamom and rose water or add espresso/ coffee powder or just glaze them. Give these butter cookies any flavor you want to and they will taste yummy. You can use these cookies as a base for any recipe that calls for shortbread.
I have used orange thyme glaze for some of the cookies while on some I used nutella and chocolate chips. You can add chocolate chips to the dough and bake too. So many ideas right. Then what are you waiting for? Mix, roll, cut and bake these delicious cookies, save some of these for your morning tea. And with the festive season around serve your guests or gift them these butter/ shortbread cookies. Spread smiles around this festive season !!
Butter Cookies/ Shortbread Cookies (With orange thyme glaze)
Author: The Cooking Soul
Yield – 20 cookies
- 200 gms butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
for the glaze (for 10 cookies)
- 4 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- pinch of dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F ( 170 degrees Celsius ). Line the baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.( you can use baking trays too)
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Add flour and continue to mix till you get a firm,soft dough. Make a round ball and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough of 1/4 inch thickness on a powdered sugar/ flour dusted surface. Preferable to use powdered sugar for dusting since additional flour may make the cookies too floury/dense.
- Cut out round, square or different shape cookies and place them on the prepared baking sheets/trays.
- Bake for 18-20 mins or till the cookies turn pale golden brown. Let it cool. Enjoy it with your cup of coffee or tea. Store them in airtight containers for a week.
- For the glaze, mix all the ingredients in a bowl to form a thick paste. Once the cookies are cooled, spread the glaze on the cookie and let it dry for a 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining cookies.